Welcome to "Them What Brung Us"

Print Bookmark

 Ingram Cemetery, Rural Shade, Navarro Co., Texas, United States


Latitude: 32.0175, Longitude: -96.115
Ingram Cemetery

Notes:
The Ingram Cemetery is long-lost and on private property south of Kerens, Texas, off U.S. 287, just west of the Trinity River. This cemetery was once on the extensive property of Washington Ingram. These pictures were taken on two trips (2002 and 2005) in the company of other family members.
----------------------------------------

KERENS. There are many interesting stories about the city of Kerens in the early days. One of these stories revolves around the Hugh Ingram property and the cemetery located there. The property on which the cemetery is now located is owned by A. L. Bain and his son, Robert Bain. After a short drive out of Kerens, one turns onto the old Wildcat Ferry Road, that at one time was the only road to the river and was equipped with a wooden tram just wide enough to accommodate the wheels on a wagon. This allowed traffic to the river on rainy days.

It was in this part of the country that Hugh Ingram built his home and raised his family. A short distance from the house a family cemetery was located. A visit to the cemetery is both interesting and sad and leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Inside the thicket that has grown up around the burial ground many grave sites are still visible. Some are as early as 1924 [sic] and some of the dates show the persons to have died in 1871. There are a few grave stones that show the age of the deceased to be in the 50-year range, and one was as old as 67, but [on] most of the ones that are still legible the date of death was at a young age and one is a marker for a baby that lived only about three months. Also buried here are Richmond Ingram and G. Washington Ingram, both of whom served the CSA in Captain Marion Martin's company.

In the heart of the old cemetery there are the remains of an old wall that housed the graves of an entire family. The wall must have been a beautiful structure when it was first built. Some of the markers in this part of the cemetery bear the name Ingram. While the cemetery is interesting it is also sad to see the run down condition that the years have brought to this old resting place of numbers of people and one who visits cannot help but think about the people buried there and wonder about their lives and families.

The man who owned this property and started this cemetery, Hugh Ingram, was a rather unique person in the history of this county. It is said that he owned and farmed so much land in this area that a worker would plow to the river on a turnrow by the noon meal and plowing the row back took until dark. This is in all probability stretching the imagination a little!

In 1947 six men were working for A. L. Bain on his property near the location of the old house, and the plow uncovered some $1,900 in old gold coins that had been buried years before. Bain helped to sell the coins and all the men shared equally in the money. For many years after this, treasure hunters dug a lot of holes on the property, but there was no more treasure to be found.

Corsicana Daily Sun, Sunday, June 14, 1970


Headstones

 Thumb Description Status Location Name (Died/Buried)
Hugh Ingram
Hugh Ingram
1802 (South Carolina) - 1880 (Texas) 
Located    I92
 
Richmond Ingram
Richmond Ingram
1847 (Georgia) - 1879 (Texas) 
Located    Richmond INGRAM (d. 1 Oct 1879)
 
Washington Ingram
Washington Ingram
1842 - 1877 
Located    George Washington INGRAM (d. 23 Sep 1877)
 
Washington Ingram
Washington Ingram
1842 (Wilkinson Co., GA) - 1877 (Navarro Co. TX) 
Located    George Washington INGRAM (d. 23 Sep 1877)
 
Washington Ingram (1815-1880)
Washington Ingram (1815-1880)
 
Located    Washington Ezekiel INGRAM (d. 13 Oct 1880)
 


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Version 11.12 ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.